Visit to craft’s museums – one in the Lavra and the other of Ivan Honchr’s collection near-by. Both museums have nice collections of traditional costumes, pottery, wood-carvings, raps, glassware and etc. Learn about preferences of different provinces in terms of color scheme, patterns, design.
The craft’s museum in the Lavra has some exhibits from XVII and XVIII centuries and a lot of exhibits dating back to late XIX and XX centuries. Ivan Honchar’s collection is made of items obtained mostly in 1950-1980-ies. It has many village-style icons of Jesus, the Virgin Mary, St. Barbara and other popular saints. Other objects of folk art are pictures depicting Cossack Mamai with his pistol, sable, flask of vodka and horse and pictures from Soviet time.
The latter are either full of village humor-depicting, mothers chasing boy-friend of her daughter with a stick to beat him or present in a naïve way the ideal village life with a pond and swans swimming in it. It is interesting to observe how those pictures were copied all over Ukraine as nearby every family wonted to have it at home.
The buildings housing both crafts museums are equally interesting themselves. I.Honchar’s museum is located in over 200-year old governor’s residence. Lavra’s museum is in the Metropolitan’s house and its Annunciation church. Some exhibits are upstairs in the choir-gallery such as pictures by peasant artists Maria Primachenko and Catherine Bilokur. Primachenko liked to depict crocodiles, lions and the like her own primitive and colorful style. The floral motives in pictures by Bilokur show, for instance, Ukrainian nature recovering from war-time wounds in late 1940-ies.
In the church of Annunciation the carpet occupy the place of the icon stands. Same room there is Soviet propaganda porcelain with its revolutionary slogans, like “He who does not work, does not eat either” or “All power belongs to Soviets”. Other interesting exhibits are bear-shape bottles and ram- and lion-shape vessels designed and made as wedding or birthday gifts.
|DEPARTURE LOCATION||Traveler’s centrally located Hotel or Apartment in Kiev|
|DEPARTURE TIME||10:00am. Flexible. You chosen the time departure in your booking
Museums start operate at 10:00am till 05:30 pm
|RETURN LOCATION||Tour ends with the hotel drop-off|
- 3 hours guided walking tour with hotel pick-up (up to 3 persons) — US$ 50
- 3 hours guided walking tour with hotel pick-up (up to 6 persons) — US$ 60
- 3 hours guided walking tour with hotel pick-up (up to 15 persons) — US$ 75
- 3 hours guided tour with hotel pick-up and drop-off by car (up to 3 persons) – US$ 75
- 3 hours guided tour with hotel pick-up and drop-off by minibus (up to 6 persons) – US$ 110
- 3 hours guided tour with hotel pick-up and drop-off by minivan (up to 15 persons) – US$ 140
- 3 hours guided tour with hotel pick-up and drop-off by bus (up to 30 persons) – US$ 160
- 3 hours guided tour with hotel pick-up and drop-off by bus (up to 45 persons) – US$ 200
Language: Eng Ger Esp Fra Bol Cro Ukr Rus