Saint Andrew’s Church was built by architect Rastrelli in 1767. It’s original iconostasis has survived. It has crimson color (art historians define it an “wild strawberry red”) as the Empress Elizabeth wished it. Her Majesty also ordered to paint icons without gold leaf as it was done in her Anichkov palace in Saint Petersburg.
Elizabeth liked sculptures and clergy had to depart from the Russian orthodox rules which did not permit them. It has already in the X-th century that St. Prince Vladimir the Baptizer for bade ever to make sculptures since any of them were regarded to be pagan idols.
Unusual for Russian orthodox church are two Roman-Catholic elements here a pulpit and a canopy over the alter table.
All interior as well as exterior of St. Andrew’s were designed by Italian architect Rastrelli. He also built famous Winter palace or Hermitage in St. Petersburg. Hi designed St.Isaak’s Cathedral for St.Petersburg but his design was not implemented there. Rastrelli was asked to use that design for the St. Andrew’s in Kiev and built it smaller size. Originally, St. Andrew’s was built with the tiles in its roof. Both tiles and bricks of St.Andrew’s were made in Kiev by Italian workers.
St.Andrew’s is supported by a two-level building below. It was used to accommodate two more churches 0 of St.Zachariah and St. Elizabeth and St. Sergus of Radonezh. Unlike most Ukrainian and Russian churches St. Andrew’s has no murals. It is decorated with the icon of “The Last Supper” on the chancel wall, a gift by Catherine II. Apostle Peter on this icon resembles Peter I. Othewr paintings are from the XIX-th century. They depict Apostle Andrew’s sermon in Kiev and Prince Vladimir choosing his faith. The latter painting shows his concubines. Vladimir was known as the Russian Solomon for his love of the women. When he adopted Christianity he retained wisdom of Solomon but got married to one woman only as Christianity Required it.
Tour of National Museum of History of Ukraine will cover all highlights starling with its mammoth and Greek heritage (the Greeks inhabited the Black sea coast of Ukraine since VIII century B.C. and up to late XVIII century ). Further exhibits are on the life style of nomadic tribes in the steppes of Ukraine illustrating how true was the description of their customs by Herodotes. Most interesting is the history of Scythians and Sarmatians and their contacts with ancient Greeks. The woods of the Northern Ukraine were inhabited by protoslavonic tribes. Special was Tripolie culture with its painted ceramic objects.
Next exhibits will illustrated the history of Kievan Rus, introduction of Christianity “by sword and fire” in 988y and Mongol-Tatar invasion 1240. This section of the museum has a lovely scale model of medieval Kiev viewed from the river Dnieper. You’ll learn about Lithuanian Rule over Ukraine and how Poland came to control Ukrainian territory. Very colorful are exhibits on the history of Cossacks with hetman Khmelnitsky’s hat XVIII-th century and diorama depicting one of the major Cossack fortress.
Next door in the scale model of the oldest school of higher learning in Ukraine known as Peter Mohila academy and numerous exhibits showing cultural development of Ukrainian in XVII-XVIII centuries.
Further comes a baroque style coach presented as a gift to Kiev archbishop by Empress Elizabeth. Same room has donations to churches by hetman Mazepa. And chest – like metal money safe once belonging to hetman Rasumovsky (a poor Sheppard who had become the duke during the reign of Empress Elizabeth). Other exhibits are on Poltava Battle and abolishment of Cossack dome by Catherine II.
Next are exhibits on XIX-th century history of Ukraine with chumak (Ukr: salt merchant) cart, the scart of writer Gogol, portrait of poet Grebinke – the wrote the lyrics to one of the best known Russian songs “Ochi chernye” – (Eng: The black eyes).
The tour will cover other events in the history of Ukraine such as Revolution 1917, Civil war, WWII, and Independence 1991.
Optional visit collections of magnificent crystal objects produced by Kiev factory and Ukrainian coins and banknotes.
The Museum is located in the original part of Kiev were artifacts have been excavated up to 16-meters depth. Next to the Museum in the site of the Title Church and medieval palaces (none of them have survived but their foundations are marked with stones), the column commemorating the first school of Rus, stone “babas” (nomadic statues symbolizing fertility) and Scythian time warrior statues IV century B.C.
Near the Museum there lies a big stone on the ground with chronicler Nestor’s words : “This is where the Land of Rus comes from ”.
HOT LINE PHONE (Viber, WatsApp): +380679050861 Alex
|DEPARTURE LOCATION||Traveler’s centrally located Hotel or Apartment in Kiev|
|DEPARTURE TIME||10:00am. Flexible. Flexible You chosen the time departure in your booking.|
|RETURN LOCATION||Tour ends at Downtown close to St. Andrew’s Church|